Before South Dakota was even a state, and before Pierre became the capital, Wakefield and Horner became partners in the practice of law, serving what would one day become South Dakota. More than 135 years later, our South Dakota lawyers remain committed to resolving our client’s matters through practical legal advice and representation. That commitment to principle is the cornerstone of May Adam’s place in South Dakota history, and its relevance today in South Dakota’s legal, business, government, and political communities. From that inauspicious start, the May Adam Law Firm has grown into a team of committed lawyers and staff who serve businesses of all sizes and clients from all walks of life.
Diverse Law Practice
Our clients include families, farmers and ranchers, small businesses, banks and lenders, government agencies and Fortune 100 industrial corporations. Owing to our location in the seat of South Dakota government and in the central part of the state, May Adam lawyers have a very diverse practice. We litigate statewide, in state and federal courts, and in tribal courts as well. We also practice South Dakota Administrative Law before state agencies, and we are a strong participant in government relations.
Because of our central location and easy accessibility to the entire state, our lawyers in Pierre, SD routinely advise clients and appear in courts all across the state including the other major cities of the state, Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Aberdeen. But May Adam lawyers keep fingers on the pulse in Washington as well. Our many state and national professional and trade association clients require us to maintain access to, and communication with, our state’s delegation to the US Congress.
May Adam is a member of the State Capital Law Firm Group. The State Capital Law Firm Group is a highly selective international organization of leading law firms with offices in their state and national capitals. The State Capital Law Firm Group provides our South Dakota lawyers and clients with access to a point of reference and a contact in every state in the United States and dozens of nations around the globe. Member firms of the group practice independently and not in a relationship for the joint practice of law.
May Adam has continually earned AV ratings, the highest possible designation from Martindale-Hubbell for its legal ability and integrity in the legal profession. Five of our lawyers hold that rating. In addition, five members of our South Dakota law firm were recently recognized among the best lawyers in America. The firm is also listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers and is recommended by Best’s Directory and Hines Insurance Counsel.
May Adam has an active appellate practice in South Dakota. We have represented clients in hundreds of reported cases over the years. It would be impossible to list them all but some of the most recent include:
- Voorhees Cattle Co., LLP v. Dakota Feeding Co., LLC, 2015 SD 68
- Repp v. Van Someren, 2015 SD 53
- Berkley Reg'l Specialty Ins. Co. v. Dowling Spray Serv., 2015 SD 35
- In re Luff Exploration Co., 2015 SD 61
- Oglala Sioux Tribe & Rosebud Sioux Tribe v. Van Hunnik, 100 F. Supp. 3d 749
- Terveen v. S.D. DOT, 2015 SD 10
- Dollar Gen. Corp v. Miss Band of Choctaw Indians, 2015 US LEXIS 7121
- Hutterville Hutterian Brethren, Inc. v. Sveen, No. CIV 12-1010, 776 F 3d. 547 (8th Cir. 2015)
- Rosenbrahn v. Daugaard, 61 F. Supp. 3d 862
- Paul Nelson Farm v. S.D. Dep't of Revenue, 2014 SD 31
- Pfuhl v. Pfuhl, 2014 SD 25
- In re Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Mktg., Sales Practices & Prods. Liab. Litig., 978 F. Supp. 2d 1053
- Aegis Food Testing Labs. v. Aegis Scis. Corp., 913 F. Supp. 2d 742
- Ass Kickin Ranch, LLC v. N. Star Mut. Ins. Co., 2012 SD 73
- Manuel v. Toner Plus, Inc., 2012 SD 47
- In re Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Mktg., 284 F.R.D. 485
- In re Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Mktg., 838 F. Supp. 2d 967
- Adrian v. Vonk, 2011 SD 84
- Rodriquez v. Miles, 2011 SD 29
- Heartland State Bank v. Am. Bank & Trust, 2010 SD 83
- In re S.M.N., 2010 SD 31
- Charge of Sandra M. Williams v. S.D. Dep't of Agric., 2010 SD 19
- Tracfone Wireless, Inc. v. S.D. Dep't of Revenue & Regulation, 2010 SD 6
- Plains Commerce Bank v. Long Family Land & Cattle Co., 554 U.S. 316, 320, 128 S. Ct. 2709, 2714 (2008)
- Nancy J. Weatherill v. John McHugh, Secretary of the Army et al. 616 F 3d. 789, Cert. Denied in US Supreme Court 10-638.
- Gerlach v. State, 2008 SD 25